Canon has today issued a press release announcing an update for the venerable and well respected 70-200mm F2.8L IS tele-photo zoom lens. Full details are on Canon Rumours website. The 70-200mm F2.8L IS has been my workhorse telephoto lens for the last five years and it’s optical quality has been superb. I can’t say I will be rushing to upgrade to this new version; although curiosity is likely to get the better of me at some stage and I may well rent or borrow one for comparison purposes in the future.
Australian Press Release
Sydney, 6 January 2010: Canon Australia today announced an update to its extremely popular EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM telephoto zoom camera lens. Professional photographers and serious enthusiasts alike will be keen to get their hands on the new EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens, which promises high-performance and quality regardless of the shooting conditions.
“This new lens will delight any professional photographer or serious enthusiast with its advanced features,” says Cathy Hattersley, Brand Manager – EOS Professional, Canon Australia. “A robust L-series lens, the EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM allows photographers even greater flexibility in low-light conditions and in subject composition.”
This new high-performance lens improves upon its predecessor with its new Image Stabilizer, which gives the equivalent effect of a shutter speed approximately four stops faster, allowing photographers to shoot in even lower lighting conditions. The EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens also boasts improved optical performance, achieving high-resolution, high-contrast images and reduced chromatic aberration – thanks to a fluorite element not used in its predecessor and an additional UD lens element (bringing the total to five). Optimised lens design and lens coatings minimise flare and ghosting. The combination of these technologies also delivers improved colour balance. The minimum focusing distance has been reduced to 1.2m/3.9 ft throughout the zoom range, which allows photographers another step closer to the subject.
Photographers will welcome the improved usability that the EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens offers with its enhanced switch panel, which makes it harder to accidently knock the selected settings, and the new feel and grip of the lens, improves the usability during manual focusing.
With improved durability and moisture and dust-proof construction, the lens is built for professionals operating in the most demanding conditions.
• L series telephoto zoom lens with Image Stabilizer
• Five UD lenses provide compensation for chromatic aberration
• 5 x UD and 1 x Fluorite elements offers unparalleled performance and low distortion throughout zoom range
• 1.2m minimum focus distance at all zoom focal lengths
• Highly dust and moisture resistant
• Inner focusing design plus ring USM for near silent, high-speed AF
• Telephoto zoom lens, 70-200mm focal range, fast f/2.8 aperture
• Inner focus design with Ultrasonic Motor (USM) offers fast and virtually silent operation
• New high-performance Image Stabilizer with optimum control system offers up to 4 stops of compensation
• Increased moisture and dust protection prevents water and dust penetration in extreme conditions
• Manual focusing enabled even during AF mode (full-time mechanical focusing)
Pricing and Availability
The Canon EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM (RRP TBC) will be available from March 2010 through select Canon dealers nationally. For more information customers can contact Canon on 1800 021 167, or visit the website at Canon Australia.