New Studio and New Mac Pro Tower of Power

Things have been a little quiet on my blog over the last week or so as I have been very busy with renovations and painting during the COVID lock down (It seemed the ideal time to make the most of the forced time at home). My days have mostly been spent at the ugly end of a paintbrush as I have moved from room to room splashing a new lease of life around the walls and ceiling. Painting has to be the exact antithesis of what I would rather be doing and if it were not for this current COVID crisis I would be in Svalbard right now sharing a wonderful experience with a group of passionate photographers.  Ce la’ Vie.

As well as painting the place I also recently moved my studio and office (down sized a bit) and added a new Mac Pro computer for my video and image editing workflow. I will probably do a video in the coming weeks on why I decided to pony up the substantial cash for the new Mac Pro and what my mind set and reasoning were for this not inexpensive purchase decision. In the end, I opted for the spec. below; which I felt offered really good bang for buck performance. I do have some updates in my mind down the road, such as the addition of an After Burner card for editing Prores and more internal SSD storage. – more to come on that later.

Soft Proofing in Adobe Photoshop Creative Cloud 2020

A few days ago I published a video for Moab and Legion Paper on how I soft proof, size and sharpen my photographs for final print. Soft proofing is one of the least understood aspects of fine art printing but is actually extremely easy to master once you know and understand the steps. In this short video I go step by step on the process I use in Adobe Photoshop to adjust my photographs so that I know exactly the result I am going to achieve before I actually commit ink to paper and make a print.

Frozen in Time Exhibition Delayed Until Further Notice

With the current lock-down and social isolation measures in place around the world as a result of the COVID-19 crisis I have had to make the unfortunate and difficult decision to delay my upcoming Frozen in Time exhibition that was scheduled to open in Melbourne this June. The exhibition was originally planned to open June 4th and run a full month in Melbourne at the Sun Room Gallery at Sun studios in South Melbourne before it travelled to NSW and then onto the United States.

At this stage I am planning to delay the exhibition until 2021 and will announce new dates as soon as they are confirmed (hopefully in the next couple of months). The exhibition will still include approximately three dozen of my photographs from both the Arctic and Antarctic captured over a period of ten years. The exhibition will be held in South Melbourne as previously planned and unreleased limited edition prints will be available – More details to come soon…

Workshop and Expedition Bookings COVID-19 Update 2020

It is fair to say that the pandemic and global shutdown that is currently ongoing has made for a rather troubling start to the 2020 year. There is a lot of uncertainty and doubt around the new self isolation, social distancing and travel restrictions that are in place around the world. And, there is of course obvious doubt and concern around current and future travel – wether it be personal or business.

There have been a number of enquiries made over the last couple of weeks to my Wild Nature Photo Travel business regarding how to safely book onto a future workshop or expedition to both avoid missing out on a place and to avoid any potential financial loss should a trip fail to run. Given the current state of affairs I am now holding places on future trips without deposits and without further obligation at this point. This allows anyone to safely put their name down for a future trip without the concern of having to place a non-refundable deposit.  Trips will then be formalised much closer to their planned starting date and payments arranged at this time should anyone wish to proceed. There is absolutely no obligation to proceed if for any reason you are prevented from travel, or choose not to travel for any reason. In effect, this new system allows anyone to hold a place on any trip without deposit and to cancel for any reason up to the point payments will be finalised (typically 90 days prior to commencement of a workshop/expedition).

This new booking methodology is being put in place immediately to ease any concerns regarding wether an expedition or workshop will proceed and will apply to all future bookings from today (10th April 2020) until further notice. If there are any queries or questions regarding holding a place on a future trip please do not hesitate to drop me an email at any time.

For workshops and expeditions where payments have already been received each trip is being dealt with on an individual basis in the interests of the attendees and the successful execution of the trip. In some cases this will mean deferral of the trip until a later date.

Self Isolation Freedom Day!

Today is Freedom Day! After fourteen days of self isolation after my return from the East Coast of Greenland I can finally emerge from my home office and makeshift bedroom and enjoy the newly imposed restrictions here in Australia – fate it seems is not without a sense of irony. Freedom day includes a photograph I made in September last year by the shores of a placid lake near the cabin we were using on my Finland workshop. With a soft fog slowly rising at dawn and perfectly still waters the scene was set for some wonderful landscape imagery. Finland in Autumn has quickly become one of my top favourite destinations for both wildlife and landscape photography.

The photograph was taken hand held with the Canon EOS 1DX MK2 with the Canon 16-35mm at ISO800 f11 at 1/500th of a second. I will be returning to Finland in September this year (provided the world returns to some sense of normality) to lead another workshop to this amazing location for Wolves, Wolverine and Bears (only two places remaining).